Asylum of the Suicidal Monkey

Monday, April 30, 2007

"Although slow, and dangerous behind the wheel..."

What's the deal with old people buying sports cars and then driving them at a blistering pace of about 0-35 mph in a minute and a half?

A while ago, as I'm heading to a hockey game, I end up behind a niiiice Porsche. I'm tailing it as we round an entrance ramp to jump on the expressway. We get to the merge stretch and there I am riding the bumper because they can't seem to find the throttle. Just before I get majorly hosed by cars coming from behind I finally punch it and get out of dodge, reluctantly speeding by like another sports car driver trying to show off their power. I hate making a move like that because the last thing I want is for people to think I'm trying to show off, but I wasn't even about to get jammed because this joker is too busy daydreaming about driving this machine that they have no idea what to do with.

What makes people want to buy such nice cars when they're too old to even "enjoy" it? I understand that not many people can afford such nice cars until they're older, but based on the way a lot of these older connoisseurs of fine automobiles drive their rides it seems they make the purchase solely on the fact that they want to display a high level of social status. What happened to the days where you'd buy a car because of its performance aspects and not because of how it makes you look? Though maybe I should question if there ever was a day like that to begin with. By the way, this doesn't necessarily pertain to only sports cars, as the soccer mom rolls by in her ridiculous looking "H1 with downs" H2.

I'm not trying to say no body old should be buying sports cars. I'm just trying to "revolutionize" the way people think, and broadcast my opinion that if you're behind the wheel of something that can really move, then get up on the wheel and freakin drive.








Actually I don't really care. Just so long as you're not obnoxiously holding me up...

2 Comments:

  • Style isn't measured in miles per hour. You might get there faster, but I'll have more ladies in the back seat when I finally arrive.

    Who am I kidding...I drive a Hyundai.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/02/2007 12:53 AM  

  • I always passed people and drove as fast as i could go when i drove my Vette! Pedal to the floor all the time.



    Granted it was a Cheevette, and topped out at 77mph ( i think i got it up to about 85 on the highway going downhill once).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/02/2007 1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home