Asylum of the Suicidal Monkey

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Whacked Out Brilliance...

One of the very few authors that I actually know just died recently. Kurt Vonnegut is quite well known and has written some very good novels over the years... I guess. I only know "Cats Cradle," being forced to read it in a college class my freshman year. (I didn't mind it.) I remember the professor in that class. He was whacked! I'm pretty sure he always came to class blown out of his mind. Maybe just smoked a lot but I wouldn't have been surprised if he was doing coke. He was sooo *slow* and just funny the way he talked and acted. Someone would say something semi funny and he'd pause... and then just let out this really dorky kind of snort. It was so funny. I saw a picture of Vonnegut for the first time today and he TOTALLY looks just like that professor I had. Literature professors or so messed up.


Anyway, I know Vonnegut has written some interesting stuff over the years, but I stumbled upon these two quotes in particular.

"When Hemingway killed himself he put a period at the end of his life; old age is more like a semicolon."

"My father, like Hemingway, was a gun nut and was very unhappy late in life. But he was proud of not committing suicide. And I'll do the same, so as not to set a bad example for my children."

Kurt Vonnegut was pretty messed up in his thinking on life (by my all joking aside standards) from what I know about him. Very liberal and out in left field smoking the grass, messed up. Though these two quotes I really found interesting. Here he was a suicidal type person (actually tried but failed at one point in his life) and wasn't opposed to such an idea, but when it came down to it he still had enough sense to make the right call.


There are a lot of bright, but not necessarily wise, people in the world.





This world needs God...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home